FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Just 11 days after the mass shooting at a Florida high school hundreds in Allen County gathered at the court house for a rally to stop violence. The rally was organized by an IPFW freshmen, but people of all ages called for gun control and said, "Enough is enough."
"No matter what your political party this just can't go on. This killing cannot go on. That's why I'm here," said Sue McCarrol.
Residents said they're fed up.
"I marched in college in the sixties. I marched in Fort Wayne in the seventies," McCarrol said. And she and others will continue to march until they see changes in gun control.
"Don't we ever learn? We're going backwards. We need to ban any type of assault weapon," she said.
Marchers said they're not pushing to take away all guns.
"Nobody wants to see that happen, but we just need some common sense regulations," said Susan Catterall.
"Assault rifles are weapons of war invented to kill humans. They have no business on the street," said Edith Kenna.
Lydia Kopec is a parent. She hopes her girls never have to experience what the kids in Florida went through.
"It just seems to be happening more and more frequently and we want to put an end to it," Kopec said.
Geoff Paddock, city councilman representing the 5th district, stood with the crowd. He said he's making moves on a local level.
"I'm recommending that the city council work more with our schools in providing security and some training... The public schools do a great job but their resources are limited," Paddock said.
His goal is to make sure parents' minds are at ease without taking away anyone's rights.
"It's kind of a tough needle to thread, but folks are more engaged now than they used to be," he said.
Paddock added he would like to have a conversation with both sides of the gun control argument and work to find common ground.
- Hundreds gather for gun control rally downtown
- Hundreds celebrate 2018 downtown
- Nearly 300 gather for second amendment rally
- Hundreds head downtown for Vision Walk
- Donnelly speaks out about gun control
- Gun advocates gather in Angola for 2nd Amendment rights
- 'Moms Demand Action' rally against gun violence
- Pro-Life supporters march downtown for Right to Life Rally
- Southwest cancels hundreds of flights as it struggles to get its mechanical problems under control
- He fought in the D-Day invasion. With no family left when he passed away, hundreds gathered to honor him.