FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — Business has been busier than normal for Joshua Wenning this week.
Wenning is the Executive Director of the Region 8 Education Service Center that manages substitutes for 12 school districts, four of which are closed Tuesday.
"Our districts have been in communication with our district secretaries and leaders looking for information about how many teachers have already put in for an absence that day or where they stand? How many substitute teachers they have available." Wenning said.
The sub service manages over 1,000 active substitutes.
On Tuesday, more than 25 percent of them will be asked to work, many filling in for teachers attending the rally.
Some districts are choosing to call in subs, some are using administrators and other staff to cover classes. Wenning says each decision has the same objective.
"I know that safety of the students is the number one priority, I can promise you that," said Wenning. "So, as they look at available subs, staff who are planning to be there that day, trying to evaluate whether to stay open that day and if they are going to stay open that day, make sure they have proper coverage."
Many of these subs rely on the money that comes from working, so some schools suddenly closing is going to impact them, but Wenning encourages everyone to look at the bigger picture.
Wenning said "It's an important day for educators to try and bring light to our profession and the importance of K-12 education in this state. In reality, what educators are trying to do is bring attention to our school system. We know we can, and should be, better from a support and funding standpoint, and that means better support for students."
Stayed tuned to FOX 55 for continuing coverage of the Red for Ed movement throughout the state.
- How Indiana schools are handling teacher shortage on Red for Ed day
- Survey: Indiana school districts seeing teacher shortages
- More Northeast Indiana schools close for Red for Ed day
- Indiana governor won’t see Red For Ed teacher rally
- Thousands of Indiana teachers attend Red for Ed Rally
- Teachers preparing for "Red for Ed" rally
- Bill aims to remedy Indiana's teacher shortage
- Indiana teacher shortage includes STEM subjects, languages
- Parents support Indiana schools closing so teachers can attend Red for Ed rally next week
- Indiana teachers use "teacher voice" to draw attention to education issues at Red for Ed rally