WATERLOO, Ind. (WFFT) - A DeKalb High School student is dead and another hospitalized after car crash Sunday.
The crash happened around 6 p.m. on the 3400 block of County Road 26.
The DeKalb County Sheriff's Department said Spencer Whan, 17, was driving a pick up eastbound on CR 26.
Whan lost control and started to slide on ice. The truck went off the side of the road and hit a tree on the passenger side.
Lilliana Morrow, 16, was in the passenger seat and died at the scene.
DeKalb Central Schools said Morrow as a sophomore at DeKalb High School.
The district said it is offering resources for students and staff, including grief counseling for the coming days.
Whan, a junior at DeKalb, is still in the hospital.
DeKalb County Sheriff Deputies said speed and weather conditions were factors in the crash.
- High school student dies in crash
- High school student dead, several hurt in crash
- Man dies in downtown crash
- Student arrested for reporting false threat against Fremont High School
- DeKalb County high school students act as statues
- High school students leave for D.C. for March for Life
- Three students treated for overdoses at North Side High School
- Huntington North High School students attend Future Fair
- Heritage High School students earn bottle cap bench
- Woman dies in Huntington County crash