HICKSVILLE, Ohio (WFFT) - Schools across the region are looking for new ways to keep students safe.
Just this week, Hicksville Exempted Village Schools installed a metal detector at one of its entrances.
Superintendent Keith Countryman said it's just another part of an already comprehensive security plan.
"Metal detectors seemed like the next step. This is not like an ordinary metal detector," said Countryman.
One was installed at the high school entrance, with plans to add more this year.
"To put an amount of money on the safety of your kids, it would be difficult to do. There is no number," said Countryman.
No one is standing at the metal detector monitoring it.
Instead, it will send alerts with a picture to the armed school security team if it detects a potential weapon, such as a rifle.
Hicksville is the first one installed in a public school.
"Here at Hicksville, we take a lot of pride in our school, a lot of pride in our kids and a lot of pride in the safety of our kids and our staff," said Countryman.
Since it is still new, there are still some kinks that are being sorted out.
"Thursday, someone walked through with two long metal bats and it set it off," said Countryman.
Not every school in our area is taking this step.
Last week Fort Wayne Community Schools told FOX 55 it won't install metal detectors after a student shot a gun after getting off the bus.
Hicksville Exempted Village Schools did get a grant to put two more metal detectors in their school. Those should be in place by the end of the school year.
- Hicksville schools installing metal detectors at main entrances
- Schools eligible for free metal detectors
- 3,200 free metal detectors going to Indiana schools
- NACS, FWCS opt to get hand-held metal detectors
- Two arrested after baby dies in Hicksville
- Illegal immigrant accused of Hicksville rape
- Parents, grandparents indicted in death of Hicksville baby
- Safe Haven Baby Box opens at Community Memorial Hospital in Hicksville
- DeKalb County Eastern School District installs stop arm cameras
- Firefighters investigating fire at metal scrap yard