BUTLER, Ind. (WFFT) - The city of Butler recognized those who went above and beyond when a fire ripped through downtown.
Five civilians and two police officers were awarded for their roles in pulling a woman from a burning building January 30.
"I didn't do this to be honored," said Marie Boes, one of the people honored Tuesday for helping rescue Barb Mynatt from a burning building. "Watching my friend's home in flames and not knowing and not knowing if everyone was going to come out ok."
"I'm very proud of them all for the help they did," said Mynatt.
Boes lives in the Broadway Efficiencies next to the fire.
She jumped into action and helped get police and a ladder up to the second story.
"It was my friends, my family, my community. This is what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to look out for your neighbors," said Boes.
Mynatt was hanging from the window after her family jumped.
"I threw my dog out the window. As soon as I tried to get out, I blacked out," she said.
Butler Police Chief James Nichols was the one who climbed that ladder.
"If it weren't for Chief Nichols, I wouldn't be here," said Mynatt.
He and another officer were awarded a Life Savers Award and silver medal from the America Police Hall of Fame.
"We would not be able to save her if it had not been for the help we received from several citizens," Nichols said.
Mynatt is still working to pick up the pieces two months later.
Her building was torn down shortly after the fire.
"I don't know, I'm living in the country and I love it," she said. "I don't think I could ever go back to an upstairs [dwelling]. I can't even go to my daughter's upstairs garage because of this,"
A cause of the fire was never determined.
- Heroes recognized after Butler fire
- Butler fire ruled "undetermined"
- Butler could soon clean up Butler Company fire rubble
- Large fire reported in downtown Butler, Indiana
- Butler figuring out next steps after fire
- Train strikes car near Butler
- Butler man charged with possessing child porn
- Development plans move forward in Butler, Waterloo
- Butler Police offer reward for arson info
- Butler man charged in Depot Street arsons