FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Headwaters Park ice rink is officially open for ice skating season.
The director of operations for Headwaters Park, Mike Holley, said Saturday's opening day broke a record.
Hours of operation:
- Monday - Thursday; 1 - 8 p.m.
- Friday; Noon -10 p.m.
- Saturday; 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Sunday; Noon - 8 p.m.
There will also be extended holiday hours.
The rink is closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Free parking is available in the Headwaters Park lot, with access from Clinton and Barr Streets.
Season skating passes and single skating passes are available by calling Geoff Paddock at (260) 425-5745.
The direct line to the ice rink is (260) 422-7625.
"It was another record-setter. It was our biggest opening day in the history of the ice rink," Holley explained.
Kim Bowen came from Ohio to see what all the excitement is about.
"The kids have never been ice skating, so we thought this would be fun, and we saw it on Facebook and thought we'd try it out," Bowen said.
Last ice skating season, the ice rink had 32,000 visitors the most since its opening in 2002.
Holley said Saturday's opening day brought out 600 people - the most of any opening day ever.
This is the 17th season for the opening of Headwaters Park.
Parkview Health is the corporate sponsor for the season, which lasts through Sunday, March 1, 2020.
- Headwaters Park ice rink has successful opening weekend
- Skaters enjoy the ice rink at Headwaters Park opening weekend.
- Headwaters Park ice rink opens for 15th season
- Headwaters Park ice rink to open for 17th season on Saturday
- Auburn opens ice rink for the weekend
- Germanfest returns to Headwaters Park
- Great ice skating season for Headwaters Park so far
- Headwaters Park ice skating ends for the season
- Downtown ice rink closes for the season
- Developer looking at plans for Headwaters Park parking lot