FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Harlem Globetrotters are coming to Fort Wayne February 3rd for the 2019 World Tour.
Thursday, FOX 55 met one of the players, Lili "Champ" Thompson, who is in her rookie year on the team.
"I played college basketball at Stanford and at Notre Dame last season, which is how I got the name, 'Champ,' and after our season I was drafted to the Globetrotters," Thompson said.
Thompson recorded more than 1300 points and 359 rebounds in her college career, but she's actually been playing since she was three, and developed connections with the Globetrotters when she was seven.
"I think I just love the legacy of the brand," She said. "I always have people come up to me and a couple people say their grandparents brought them to Globetrotters games when they were a kid, and now that they're older they're bringing their own grand kids. And I think that family legacy is something really special for the Globetrotters to be a part of."
You can usually find Champ on the court with her team or in her hometown of Honolulu, but Thursday she was in Fort Wayne to show off some moves.
"That Globetrotter magic, whether it's the high-flying dunks, or the long trick shots, or the ball handling. That's part of our craft and part of what we do," she said.
You can see some of that magic in person at the World Tour on February third.
You can get tickets here.
- Harlem Globetrotters coming to Fort Wayne for 2019 World Tour
- Harlem Globetrotters to visit Summit City
- Harlem Globetrotters surprise Irwin Elementary students
- Luke Bryan tour coming to Fort Wayne
- KISS farewell tour coming to Fort Wayne in 2020
- Fort Wayne's 2019 budget approved
- Fort Wayne celebrates World Wetlands Day
- GM unveils Fort Wayne Built 2019 Silverado
- You Decide: 2019 Fort Wayne election previews
- Senior Games 2019 begins in Fort Wayne