TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Computer users beware. Hackers are now using "scare ware".
It's a pop up that looks like a virus. The pop up will say "computer is affected, call this phone number for help"/
The phone number listed is actually a scam number.
If you call the number, hackers are able to get into your computer and will ask for payment.
Many have already fallen for the scam and their bank accounts have suffered.
"It's important just not to give anybody your credit card number. If you're at all worried about a pop-up, bring it local where you can deal face to face with somebody," said Melissa Jenkins, Guardian Computer Systems manager.
Jenkins says if you do see the pop-up, the best thing to do is turn off your computer.
- Hackers using "scareware" to scam
- Avoiding on-line scams
- New York Times: Chinese hackers behind massive Marriott breach
- Chinese hackers are ramping up attacks on US companies
- Power companies warn of scam
- Police warn against candy scam
- Beware of tax refund scams
- Ukrainian hackers used quizzes to access private Facebook data, company says
- Hackers steal $40 million worth of bitcoin in massive security breach
- WhatsApp reveals major security flaw that could let hackers access phones