FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A unique graduation ceremony was held at Ivy Tech Fort Wayne on Tuesday afternoon. Ten inmates from the Chain o' Lakes correctional facility were awarded certificates in welding from the American Welding Society. The program was formed between the Indiana Department of Corrections and Ivy Tech as part of Governor Eric Holcomb's next level job plans.
The course was challenging for the men but the instructor says they all took it seriously.
"Many of them had never welded before. So, it was pretty intense. They stepped right up though and did a wonderful job. They didn't mess around at all, they just hit it hard."
Some of the men have qualified for work release, and will be on the job working again within the month.
- Graduation held for Hoosier inmates enrolled in vocational program
- An inside look at the vocational program at EACS
- Huntington University OTD Program Increases Enrollment
- K9 officers graduate from training program
- Veterans graduate from 'Veterans court' program, celebrate recovery
- Officials: Indiana University's online enrollment is growing
- The Fight to Save Hoosier Children
- Hoosiers can report flood damage online
- Indiana working to make Hoosier homes safer
- Parents organize Graduation Pathways meeting