INDIANAPOLIS (WFFT) —To honor Indiana's environmental achievements and celebrate the great collaboration between government, business, industry and citizens, Governor Eric Holcomb issued a proclamation declaring Sept. 15 - 21, 2019 Pollution Prevention Week.
Indiana's proclamation coincides with National Pollution Prevention Week, which is observed the third week of September.
"Pollution Prevention Week is a time to celebrate what we've accomplished so far and to renew our commitment to reducing pollution at its source," said IDEM Commissioner Bruno Pigott. "We are proud of communities and businesses that innovate, use best practices, and utilize new technologies to ensure cleaner air, land and water."
Pollution Prevention Week features the 22nd Annual Indiana Pollution Prevention Conference and Trade Show on Wednesday.
The theme of this year's conference is "Partnering for Environmental Progress: What is Your Story?"
Conference topics will range from new and innovative pollution prevention technologies to training on how pollution prevention can save organizations money.
"The annual Pollution Prevention Conference and Trade Show is open to all public and private sectors and is a great opportunity to exchange ideas, share experiences, and promote practices that help the environment," said Assistant Commissioner of IDEM's Office of Program Support Julia Wickard. "Also at the conference, we are presenting the Indiana Governor's Awards for Environmental Excellence to the best programs or projects that have had a positive impact on Indiana's environment."
The Governor's Awards recognize Indiana's leaders and organizations that have implemented outstanding environmental strategies into their operations and decision-making processes.
By utilizing innovative environmental practices, these organizations and programs have reduced waste, saved money, and contributed greatly to Indiana's environmental protection efforts, which benefit the health and welfare of citizens across the state.
The Governor's Awards include seven categories: Energy/Renewable Resources, Greening the Government, Land Use/Conservation, Environmental Education/Outreach, Pollution Prevention, Recycling/Reuse, and Continuous Improvement.
- Governor Holcomb declares Sept. 15 - 21 Pollution Prevention Week
- Governor declares Indiana Move Over Week
- Holcomb attending National Governors Association meeting
- Governor Holcomb pledges to sign Sunday alcohol bill
- Governor Holcomb signs Sunday alcohol bill, residents react
- Governor Holcomb visits opioid treatment program before opening
- Governor Holcomb gives checks to communities to improve infrastructure
- Governor Holcomb directs flags to be flown at half-staff
- Governor Holcomb questioned over Indiana’s probe of Amazon death
- Cigarette filters are the No.1 plastic pollutant ... and don't prevent cancer