INDIANAPOLIS (WFFT) — If you run a restaurant not abiding by Indiana's no dine-in policy, Gov. Eric Holcomb says the state's coming after your licenses.
Holcomb last week enacted the policy limiting restaurants to carry out and delivery to help cut down the spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
SIGN UP FOR BREAKING NEWS ALERTS
5 EASY STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHER INDIANA RESIDENTS DURING THE #COVID19 EMERGENCY— Indiana State Department of Health (@StateHealthIN) March 15, 2020
1. Clean and Disinfect
2. Cover Coughs and Sneezes
3. Wash Your Hands Often
4. Avoid Touching Your Face
5. Stay Home if You are Sick and Avoid Close Contact
Play video for more details. pic.twitter.com/NNrYxTQoVZ
But, he says, not everyone is complying.
“A week later we know that’s not being carried out by all," Holcomb said during an address to over 6 million Hoosiers Monday. "And we know it only takes one bad apple to spoil a bushel. We know one infected person infects two and those two infect two more and so on and so on.”
Holcomb signed an executive order that instructs the state's Alcohol, Tobacco Commission to suspend "any and all food and beverage licenses for those who violate the order."
The governor acknowledged the virus has been devastating to restaurants and its employees, in some cases causing long-time family diners to close down.
He says Hoosiers owe it to restaurants to help eradicate the virus as soon as possible by sheltering in place and only going out when it's essential.
"I personally order to-go every day to support our local entrepreneurs in these tough, unprecedented times," he said.
Restaurants that serve alcohol, however, could see a little relief.
Holcomb also signed an order relaxing the state's carryout law.
Now, restaurants that must serve alcohol only on their premises can sell carry-out as long as the COVID-19 emergency persists.