DETROIT, Michigan (WFFT) - Chevrolet is celebrating 100 years of building trucks. For decades, the Silverado has been built right here in Allen County.
This week GM is unveiling the all new 2019 Silverado at the North America International Auto Show in Detroit.
The 2019 Chevy Silverado is not only built in Allen County, it's also bigger and lighter.
"General Motors and Chevrolet have been building trucks for 100 years. We build on that success and build on that knowledge and build a truck from the ground up."
GM re-built the Chevy Silverado for 2019 to celebrate 100 years of the iconic brand. Scott Damman is the lead engineer who helped develop the new truck being built in Fort Wayne.
"We reward success at Chevrolet . Success in Fort Wayne has been a namesake. Fort Wayne is our plant for this new truck."
Right now, the Fort Wayne assembly is having a hard time keeping up with demand.
"Fort Wayne will continue to build a great truck. It's all about building that Fort Wayne to utilize the people there that are already building a lot of trucks a day and we're just going to ask them to build that many more."
While maintaining production, they are switching to a bed slightly larger, a cab with a few extra inches, all while reducing the weight by 450 pounds.
"I like to say we're giving the performance back to our customers. They get to maybe tow more, put more in the bed or get better fuel economy out of the truck. They're not hauling 450 pounds down the road they don't really need to."
If you want to come check out the auto show for yourself, it opens to the public next week.
- GM unveils Fort Wayne Built 2019 Silverado
- Fort Wayne-built Silverado making mark in northeast Indiana
- GM unveils all new Fort Wayne - built GMC Sierra
- Fort Wayne's 2019 budget approved
- Airmail stamps unveiled in Fort Wayne
- UAW sues GM for not transfering workers to Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne GM workers concerned about health coverage during strike
- Senior Games 2019 begins in Fort Wayne
- Mayor Henry and Fort Wayne UNITED unveil 'Meals 4 Healing'
- Fort Wayne VA Medical Center unveils new renovations