FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The United Auto Workers strike against General Motors continued for a fifth day as contract negotiations continue.
Outside the GM Fort Wayne Assembly plant, members from UAW Local 2209 are not alone.
Many suppliers who make parts for the plant laid off its workers when the strike began, including Advanced Assembly outside Columbia City.
"When they're not running, we're not running. Whether its through a layoff or a strike, when they don't run, we don't run," said Jason Anderson who is a union leader for UAW Local 3055.
Advanced Assembly makes the seats for the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.
Anderson said it is a "just in time plant," which means three hours after the seat is made, it is being installed in a new truck.
Because Fort Wayne-built trucks are in high demand, Advanced Assembly workers had a chance to get ready for the strike.
"We've been working two Saturdays on, one Saturday off for over the last year so there has been plenty of opportunity to get overtime and save," Anderson said.
Since suppliers are shut down, many of those workers are standing on the picket lines in front of GM.
"It warms my heart to see the support in the community, from whether it's other union members coming out here and supporting, whether it's just people driving by honking," said Anderson.
He said he supports the strike despite being laid off.
"We all need to stick together. I believe in their cause. It's one united cause," Anderson said.
- GM supplier workers supporting UAW strike during layoffs
- UAW strike against GM beginning to affect parts supply
- UAW letter to GM indicates that strike won't end quickly
- UAW on strike against GM 2019 full coverage
- UAW sues GM for not transfering workers to Fort Wayne
- UAW GM Workers react after an unsuccessful weekend of negotiations
- Nearly 50,000 UAW workers go on strike against GM, America's biggest automaker
- UAW and GM differences bringing community together
- GM workers ratify contract, 40-day strike ends
- GM-UAW talks take turn for worse; settlement not near