FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - There's a new effort to help kids learn about Fort Wayne's rivers.
The Friends of the Rivers is launching Paddles Aweigh.
Local artists will paint paddles for the group's canal boat, the Sweet Breeze.
Those paddles will then be sponsored by area businesses to help cover field trips on the boat.
"We thought paddles aweigh would be a wonderful way of uniting the artistic community and giving students and emerging artists to show their talent," said Irene Walters, Paddles Aweigh chairwoman.
The goal is to have 100 paddles sponsored and more than half already are.
The paddles will be on display on World Rivers Day, September 29, at Promenade Park, then at different locations across the city.
- Friends of the Rivers announces community art event
- Hop River Brewing hosts lunar eclipse event
- City announces plans for North River
- Local organization holds community Easter event
- Fort Wayne Community Schools pushing fundraiser for Fine Arts education
- Carroll highlights fine arts
- Red River Waste, city plan to announce trash solutions
- Everything announced at Apple's big event
- United Art and Education to hold back to school event Monday
- Art in the Park brings out the art lovers