FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) -- It's still hard for Dayla Alexander to comprehend. Just over 24 hours ago, her brother was shot and killed, and she received a heartbreaking phone call.
"I had answered my phone and someone told me Diquan got shot," says Alexander.
The 19-year old, Diquan Meriwether, was killed.
The suspect, Kennisha Jackson, is now in jail and Alexander's family is looking for answers to why it happened.
"What she did was terrible," says Sean Poindexter Jr., a friend of Meriwether's.
Diquan is described as a 'goofy' kid.
One who was quick to make sure everyone around him was having a good time, and with an outgoing personality.
"He had an effect on a lot of people, whether he knew it or not," says Zach Welklin, who he says acted as a 'mentor' to Meriwether.
Friends and family tell me he was also a great father to his son, Diquan Jr.
There will be a balloon release at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17.
For more information, you're asked to contact Diquan's mother.
Some more pictures of Diquan Meriweather. 19-year old Kennisha Jackson was arrested and charged with Aggrivated Battery and battery with a deadly weapon. pic.twitter.com/8l5OHAmme4
— Chris Mullooly (@ChrisMullooly) January 15, 2020
- Friends and family in Fort Wayne remember 19 year old killed
- Friend of Fort Wayne stabbing victim speaks
- People in Fort Wayne remember 9/11
- Fort Wayne family's plane crashed in Pennsylvania
- Fort Wayne family searches for missing woman
- Man killed outside Fort Wayne Hotel
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Visit Fort Wayne launches Fort Wayne Accessibility landing page
- Two Fort Wayne nightclubs closing
- Fort Wayne housing market booming