FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Shimetchra Gray last talked to her friend O'Sha Ford a few weeks ago.
She didn't think it would be the last time.
"If I needed something, he had it. Now I can't call my friend. I can't text him. I can't hear his voice," Gray said.
She learned from a family member that Ford was stabbed Sunday morning at these apartments on Francis Street.
Police say his girlfriend Lekeshia James stabbed him in the chest during an argument.
An arrest affidavit said James became angry after she looked through his phone and claimed she found evidence of infidelity.
Police said James told them Ford refused to give her her phone and leave the apartment.
Gray said she only saw James a few times, but she had a bad feeling about her.
"I knew something was a little off about her. I couldn't really put my finger on it until a few months after that. He would call and tell me about the stuff she was doing, yelling at him, and they always fighting. I told Sha you gotta leave," she explained.
The affidavit said James told investigators she only meant to “knick” Ford, and called police once she realized the injury was serious.
James faces charges of aggravated battery and domestic battery.
"When we're talking about domestic situations, they are not all the same. The aggressor can be male or female. We just want everyone to know that if you are in a domestic situation that you need to call us or Victims Assistance. Find out what help is out there for you," Sofia Rosales- Scatena with Fort Wayne Police said.
James and Ford were together since 2016 according to James' Facebook page.
- Friend of Fort Wayne stabbing victim speaks
- Fort Wayne police investigating early morning stabbing
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Fort Wayne Police investigating stabbing at Economy Inn
- Fort Wayne Police investigating deadly stabbing on Strathmore Street
- Coroner identifies Fort Wayne man killed in stabbing
- Woman stabbed to death, left on Fort Wayne street
- Reported stabbing in Fort Wayne's Southwick Village unfounded
- Fort Wayne police investigating deadly stabbing on Francis Street
- Friends mourn motorcycle crash victim