Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)-The annual Labor Day Picnic at Headwaters Park isn't something that takes a few days to prepare for especially accommodating a city full of working people.
"It takes a committee of about 24 people and we work on it non-stop for about 6 to 8 months every single year getting it prepared," President of AFL-CIO Labor Chapter Lloyd Osborne said.
Organizer Lloyd Osborne said this events purpose is to bring unity among all workers to learn from each other and celebrate one another.
"There's all kinds of unions out here. There's operating engineers. There's all the building trades that participate in this. I couldn't go through them. There's like 18 of them. There's the UAW. There's the steel workers, CWA, and you get all the different unions to come together in one big large event," Osborne added.
"It doesn't matter what you do, where you're working, where you come from. This is our gift back to the community," Executive Vice President of AFL-CIO Darryl Esterline said.
They said this event attracts over a 1,000 workers, and it's been doing so for 26 years from auto workers to electrical workers.
There's learning activities for the kids too. Randy Gardiner and his colleagues with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers are giving kids a chance to see what it's like being an electrical worker.
"What we're doing here today is just showing everybody what we do for a living. This is how we turn the power on and off to people's homes, and this gives the kids an idea of what we do, and it's something fun for them," Gardiner said.
There was over $20,000 raised by Organized Labor that helped to make this happen.
- Free Labor Day Picnic held at Headwaters Park
- Germanfest returns to Headwaters Park
- Thousands attend annual Fort Wayne Labor Day picnic
- Developer looking at plans for Headwaters Park parking lot
- Headwaters Park ice rink opens for 15th season
- Skaters enjoy the ice rink at Headwaters Park opening weekend.
- First Veg'n Brew Fest comes to Headwaters Park
- Great ice skating season for Headwaters Park so far
- Headwaters Park ice skating ends for the season
- The Lofts at Headwaters Park are moving forward