FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — Mayor Tom Henry announced on Tuesday that $15,000 in Community Development Block Grant funding will go toward efforts to help provide overnight accommodations for homeless single women.
The sheltering of homeless single women has been identified as a community challenge that needs to be addressed.
Lifehouse Church will provide the service this winter season.
The Rescue Mission provides overnight shelter for homeless men, and Just Neighbors Interfaith Homeless Network provides overnight space for homeless families.
The Rescue Mission also serves as the lead provider of a warming shelter in the City of Fort Wayne.
In addition, the Rescue Mission also oversees the intake of all individuals and families in need of shelter. Anyone in need of shelter needs to first start at the Rescue Mission and not go directly to the other organizations providing help.
Highlights of the Winter Contingency/Emergency Shelter Plan include:
- Primary Provider – Services begin at 40 Degrees
- The Rescue Mission will be the primary provider for the program offering shelter and food to individuals needing assistance.
- Secondary Provider – Services begin at 32 Degrees
- Just Neighbors Interfaith Homeless Network will provide overnight shelter for families with children as space allows.
- Secondary Provider – Services begin at 20 Degrees
- Lifehouse Church will provide overnight shelter for single women. Single women in need of overnight accommodations will be transported to Lifehouse Church’s facility at 2100 Kentucky Ave.
- Secondary Provider – Services begin at 10 Degrees
- When the temperature drops below 10 degrees, the Salvation Army will serve as a backup provider of overnight accommodations to men, women and children when requested to do so by the Rescue Mission.
- The Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department will serve as a backup provider of daytime warming centers for men, women and children when requested to do so by the Rescue Mission.
- Fort Wayne to give $15,000 grant to shelter homeless women this winter
- Fort Wayne International Airport receives runway grants
- 10 Fort Wayne Neighborhoods Awarded Grants
- Fort Wayne Jiffy Lube 'Winterizes' Cars
- Huntington church opening homeless shelter
- Fort Wayne's emergency shelter plan will help single women as well
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Backpacks of Hope bring essentials to Fort Wayne's homeless
- Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health receives $54,000 grant
- Fort Wayne Fire Department gives holiday safety tips