FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — On Saturday, the Drug Enforcement Administration will offer residents a chance to get rid of pills, cough syrup and other unwanted medications that have been piling up around their homes during the National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day.
Indiana State Police will have the collection from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 26. at the Fort Wayne Post located at 5811 Ellison Rd.
This event is one of the few days of the year where residents can drop off expired or unused prescription medications without having to wonder whether they will be accepted; even controlled substances, such as ADHD drugs, will be accepted.
State troopers say this program will not accept new or used needles. The collection is intended for liquid and pill medications only.
Citizens wishing to participate in this program may drop off their prescription drugs for disposal at any Indiana State Police Post throughout the state, except the Toll Road Post.
Police want to remind the public that it is unsafe to keep expired, unused or unwanted prescription drugs in your house.
Flushing drugs down the sink or toilet is potentially very harmful to water treatment facilities.
This is an opportunity to properly dispose of prescription drugs with no questions asked.
*For those unable to make the above collection date, there are also ongoing collection sites (for pills only) at various locations throughout Allen County:
• Allen County Sheriff (Huntertown Town Hall)
• Fort Wayne Police (Edwin J. Rousseau Centre Lobby, 1 E Main St.)
• New Haven Police (815 Lincoln Highway East) Walgreen’s Drug Stores:
• Walgreen’s at 6202 W. Jefferson Blvd.
• Walgreen’s at 6201 Stellhorn Rd.
• Walgreen’s at 10412 Coldwater Rd.
- Fort Wayne state troopers announce DEA Drug Take Back Day locations
- Fort Wayne getting ready for National Drug Take Back Day
- IU Health announces opening date for Fort Wayne location
- International Business College closing Fort Wayne location
- Metro Diner location in Fort Wayne closes
- Tucanos Brazilian Grill closes Fort Wayne location
- Fort Wayne announces leaf collection schedule
- Fiesta Time Fort Wayne is back
- New Planet Fitness location opens in Fort Wayne
- CoreLife Eatery opens 50th national location in Fort Wayne