FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A Fort Wayne man was arrested and charged with murder in the death of his mother.
40-year-old Cordell Hughes was arrested and is preliminarily charged with murder in the death of 60-year-old Carmen Hughes.
Carmen Hughes was stabbed in the neck and chest in the 8600 block of Lakeside Drive at South Bridge Apartments.
A probable cause affidavit revealed Cordell Hughes called police and told them to meet him at his mother's apartment for a well-being check.
His grandmother was also wondering about Carmen's whereabouts.
Police found Cordell at the apartment, and Carmen dead in a chair in the bedroom with blood on the wall, floor, and around her neck.
She also did not show up to work with the postal service on February 21st or 22nd, but called in sick on the 20th.
Cordell and Carmen's sister in Arizona are the only other people who had a key to Carmen's apartment, according to the court documents.
Cordell Hughes also had a cast on his hand and arm that raised questions.
He told police he had cut it pushing trash down at his home, but police found no blood at the house and no evidence he cleaned and dressed the wound as he had said.
An investigation revealed Cordell's injury was the same length as Carmen's, approximately three centimeters.
Cordell told police the last time he had spoken to his mother was on the 20th, and claimed he had not been in the apartment for two weeks, but his story changed.
Police also learned Cordell was the beneficiary for Carmen, and he tried to use her debit card Monday, but was denied because he didn't have the PIN.
Cordell Hughes is currently being held in the Allen County Jail without bond. He's expected to be back in court on March 4th.
- Fort Wayne man charged in mother's murder
- Fort Wayne man convicted in barbershop murder
- Fort Wayne mother charged with neglect after her baby dies
- Mother's Day takes over downtown Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne man handed maximum sentence for murder, attempted murder
- Murder suspect extradited to Fort Wayne
- Trial of Fort Wayne man accused of murder begins
- Fort Wayne man receives maximum sentence for murder
- Fort Wayne man gets 87 years for murdering Indiana barber
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins