Residents were able to escape before crews arrived.
A small fire quickly turned into a big one for Paul Murray and Mahogany Taylor.
Murray said everything is gone, but he's happy he still has his family and they still have their dog.
"Me and my girl in the room laying down. I hear my dog barking, but he usually barks all the time, anytime he hears cars, or neighbors or anything,"Murray said.
This time was very different. It was enough for Murray to get out of bed to see what was going on, but a fire was the last thing he ever expected to happen.
"I'm thinking it's a little small fire I can put out, so I run and try to get a pot of water to splash the fire out, but when I pulled the couch out, I noticed that underneath the couch was all in flames," he added.
He ended up running to the room to wake up Taylor, but by that time the fire had spread.
"We tried to put it out together, but the fire was bigger than both of us."
Luckily they were able to get out of the home, but their dog was stuck in the basement.
Fort Wayne Fire Department ended up saving the dog who is doing fine, but they ended up losing everything else in the home.
Now they're both trying to figure out what they'll do next.
"I don't have family out here. My boyfriend doesn't have family out here, so we're just going to see what the next best thing for us to do is. If they're gonna put us up somewhere, if we need to call somebody from out of town to come get us or something like that," Taylor said.
The Red Cross is assisting the family at this time.
This fire remains under investigation.
- Fort Wayne couple wakes up to fire
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Fort Wayne remembers St. Mary's Catholic Church in wake of fire at Notre Dame Cathedral
- Fort Wayne Firefighter arrested at fire station
- Visit Fort Wayne launches Fort Wayne Accessibility landing page
- Two Fort Wayne nightclubs closing
- Fort Wayne housing market booming
- Fort Wayne church helps Haiti
- Greater Fort Wayne celebrates success
- Fort Wayne alleys getting facelift