FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — Local government, public safety and health leaders came together to provide an update on the community’s response to COVID-19 Tuesday afternoon.
SIGN UP FOR BREAKING NEWS ALERTS
5 EASY STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHER INDIANA RESIDENTS DURING THE #COVID19 EMERGENCY— Indiana State Department of Health (@StateHealthIN) March 15, 2020
1. Clean and Disinfect
2. Cover Coughs and Sneezes
3. Wash Your Hands Often
4. Avoid Touching Your Face
5. Stay Home if You are Sick and Avoid Close Contact
Play video for more details. pic.twitter.com/NNrYxTQoVZ
Allen County COVID-19 count March 24, 2020
With more cases of coronavirus being confirmed in Allen County, leaders continued to stress the importance of practicing social distancing, washing hands thoroughly and regularly, using hand sanitizer often, and limiting activities in group settings.
City leaders say the public is reminded to be vigilant and use good judgment as a result of Governor Holcomb’s stay-at-home order, which was announced Monday.
Highlights of the response to the pandemic announced by local leaders:
- Police officers and firefighters continue to serve and protect residents, neighborhoods, and businesses with 464 Fort Wayne police officers and 16 in training, 356 Fort Wayne firefighters, 133 Allen County Sheriff’s officers and the volunteer Allen County fire departments.
- 911 services and 311 services continue to operate as normal.
- All protocols, policies, and contingencies are in place to respond to all possible scenarios.
- Water filtration plant operation, water pollution control plant operation, water and sewer maintenance field operations, street department functions, garbage and recycling collection and finance are operating at full capacity to serve the public and those services continue.
Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry says the public is encouraged to visit the City's website where a community resource page has been created with information about COVID-19, local government responses and other organizations that serve the public and how there is help available to those who may need assistance.