FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Fort Wayne Children's Zoo mourns a member of their giraffe herd.
Zahra passed away last week after she had pain in her foot and then stopped eating.
Staff Veterinarian Dr. Kami Fox says there are still a lot of questions they have about the eight year old giraffe's death.
"We're still looking for a lot of answers on our additional testing post mortem, after her death," Fox said. "And so that will hopefully give us more insight into exactly what happened. So her whole presentation is not common and so we're definitely looking for more answers."
Fox says the giraffe herd has taken the loss pretty well.
Saying the only time there was a little distress was during the commotion in the barn.
Fox says despite the loss, Zahra's family lives on as the zoo had three generations of that bloodline.
"Kita was Zahra's daughter, offspring, and Zahra's mother Zuri is still here at the zoo so we have all three generations," Fox said. "So now we've got grandma and grandbaby here and seeing that whole family grow and develop and be supportive of each other as one of their family members is missing is great to see."
Fox says any time an animal passes away it takes a toll on those who care for the animals every single day.
She says this situation is no different as they remember the giraffe that lived her entire life at the Fort Wayne Zoo.
"Every animal is a member of our zoo family and a great ambassador for their species and the keepers in particular that care for them day in and day out are very much affected by such a loss so that's very, very sad," Fox said.
Fox says it could take several weeks before they learn more about why the giraffe died.
- Fort Wayne Zoo mourns loss of giraffe
- Baby giraffe escapes Fort Wayne Children's Zoo
- Zoo welcomes baby giraffe
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo holds job fair
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo holds "Enrichment Day"
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo to hold volunteer opportunity fair
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo opens for 53rd year
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo gets new wheelchair ramp for train
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo celebrates National Zookeeper Week
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins