FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) — Fort Wayne police say officers were called to Parkview Hospital Randallia after a 5-month-old baby was brought into the emergency room unresponsive at 8:43 a.m. Sunday.
Officers say the baby had severe bruising and head trauma.
The baby was pronounced dead shortly after at 9:06 Sunday morning.
Doctors say the baby had, what appeared to be, traumatic head injuries pointing to depressions in the baby’s skull.
The mother, Jasmine Johnson who brought the child into the ER, was interviewed by detectives and was later on arrested for Felony neglect of a dependent.
Investigators say the mother admitted to drinking all night with another person and waking up, alone, with the child on the floor.
Police say at this time the case is still under investigation.
Johnson was expected to appear in court Monday morning.
- Fort Wayne mother charged with neglect after her baby dies
- Fort Wayne man charged in mother's murder
- Mother's Day takes over downtown Fort Wayne
- Historic Fort Wayne buildings in danger of demolition, neglect
- Fort Wayne man pleads guilty to neglect in toddler's death
- Baby giraffe escapes Fort Wayne Children's Zoo
- Mother charged with neglect in toddler's death appears in court
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Fort Wayne mother honored after helping daughter through chemo
- Mother returns to Fort Wayne seeking justice for son's death