FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) - The Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend has added another former priest to its list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abusing children.
The diocese says Gerald Funcheon was a member of the Crosier Congregation religious order and was included on the Crosier Fathers' list of credibly accused clergy.
The diocese announced Tuesday it added Funcheon to its list of more than 20 priests and deacons credibly accused of sexually abusing children because of abuse that allegedly took place while he was assigned in the diocese.
Funcheon was a teacher and athletic director from 1966 to 1969 at Our Lady of the Lake Seminary in Syracuse, which the Crosier order had long operated. He also taught and was prefect of discipline at Syracuse's Wawasee Preparatory School from 1973 to 1975.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese names 2 more accused priests
- Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese names 1 more accused priest
- Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend releases names of priests accused of abusing children
- Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend to release names of priests who committed sexual abuse
- List of accused priests in Fort Wayne - South Bend to be released Tuesday
- South Bend family looking for answers in Fort Wayne
- Diocese celebrates largest priest ordination class in over 40 years
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Six people shot in South Bend
- Purdue Fort Wayne close to officially assuming new name