FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) -- Fort Wayne Police have released no new information in the two days since an officer shot and wounded a man at what neighbors described as an out-of-control block party.
The shooting was reported at 12:28 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of Weisser Park and Maple Grove avenues.
A Fort Wayne Police Department spokesman issued a statement that morning but since then police have declined to identify the man who was shot or if he faces any charges.
The officer, who was not hurt, has also not been identified.
Indiana State Police say they are conducting a parallel investigation into the shooting but referred all questions about the man and possible charges to Fort Wayne Police, who did not return calls Tuesday.
Police also declined to answer whether they responded to complaints before the party got out of hand.
One neighbor told FOX 55 News that she called police about an hour earlier when the party first started getting out of control but nothing was done until gunfire erupted.
When asked about that on Monday, a police spokesman said he had nothing new to add, it's an ongoing investigation and that they would release more details when it was the appropriate time.
In their statement released on Sunday, FWPD says officers responded to the area and could hear gunfire.
"Fort Wayne Police Officers were instantly confronted with an extremely dangerous and Chaotic situation." the statement says.
It says there was an "intense gun battle between rival factions" when an officer was confronted by a suspect with a gun.
"The officer was forced to engage the suspect to preserve his life and that of the surrounding public," it says.
Police say the officer rendered aid to the man who was taken to a local hospital.
The statement says the man would be interviewed by detectives once he was medically cleared and that preliminary charges are pending.
Police have declined to say whether the man is still hospitalized or what charges he might face.