FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) – Local law enforcement agencies are mourning the loss of one of their own.
50 year-old Officer David A. Tinsley, a 16 year veteran of the Fort Wayne Police Department, died. Late Monday night, officers were pursuing 49 year-old Patrick Faiers through the Candlelite Apartments on Fort Wayne's south side after he allegedly stole a vehicle.
Faiers jumped a curb with the car and turned onto the Rivergreenway. Officer Tinsley and his K-9 partner, along with an officer in training pursued Faiers on foot and made an arrest after Faiers had crashed the vehicle.
After helping apprehending the suspect, Officer Tinsley was just walking back to his car along the Rivergreenway. That’s when he started suffering a medical issue and suddenly collapsed.
Officers performed CPR on Tinsley until paramedics arrived. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time after arrival.
Fort Wayne Police Chief Steve Reed fought back the tears as he spoke of his fallen brother.
He recalled, “He was a good cop. Always going above and beyond. Never shying away from danger, just like last night.”
Mayor Tom Henry released the following statement about the death Officer Tinsley, saying in part
"Officer Tinsley was a respected and valued member of the FWPD team, and he will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with the tinsley family during this most difficult time."
Officer Reed says that Tinsley was hard working, always did his job, and was a kind person.
“Anytime you lose an officer, a friend, a coworker is extremely hard. Besides keeping his family obviously in our thoughts and our prayers, keep our officers,” said Reed
Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced but Mayor Henry has asked for all flags in Fort Wayne to be flown at half staff until Officer Tinsley is laid to rest.
- Fort Wayne Police Officer dies after chasing suspect
- Authorities: Driver dies following Fort Wayne police chase, shooting
- Autopsy reveals Fort Wayne Police Officer died from heart attack
- Fort Wayne police officer under investigation
- Fort Wayne officer under investigation
- Fort Wayne police searching for man who robbed Chase Bank
- Fort Wayne Police investigating shooting
- Murder suspect extradited to Fort Wayne
- Suspect in November homicide surrenders to Fort Wayne Police
- Fort Wayne police looking for suspect in July shooting