FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) – A Fort Wayne man was sentenced on Tuesday after pleading guilty to wire fraud.
Robin Opper, age 36, of Fort Wayne, Indiana, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Holly Brady after pleading guilty to wire fraud, announced United States Attorney Thomas L. Kirsch II.
Opper, was sentenced to one in prison, followed by three years of supervised release. He was ordered to pay $566,618.50 in restitution.
“This is one of the last defendants to be sentenced in an massive fraud scheme involving federal charges against 31 former BAE employees arising out of false submissions for reimbursement from the employer’s tuition assistance program,” U.S. Attorney Thomas L. Kirsch II said. “All 31 defendants have been convicted of various charges of wire fraud and ordered to pay restitution to BAE for its loss which, as a result of the scheme, totaled $806,241.09. We, along with our law enforcement partners take financial fraud seriously and will take measures to obtain restitution for the victim of these offenses.”
According to documents in the case, between June 13, 2013 and April 25, 2016, while employed at BAE Systems in Fort Wayne, Opper devised a scheme to defraud his employer.
The scheme was used to obtain fraudulent reimbursement payment from BAE’s tuition assistance program.
He began the scheme by submitting false documents for college course enrollment in order to obtain reimbursement for tuition payments for courses he was neither registered for nor completed.
Opper received $37,500 from BAE for fraudulent tuition reimbursements for himself and BAE paid $529,118.50 to other employees that he recruited into the fraud scheme.
- Fort Wayne man sentenced to one year in prison after wire fraud plea
- Fort Wayne man sentenced to 63 years for shooting neighbor
- Fort Wayne man handed maximum sentence for murder, attempted murder
- Fort Wayne man receives maximum sentence for murder
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Fort Wayne veteran makes plea to end gun violence
- Man gets 65 years for fatally shooting Fort Wayne clerk
- Man killed outside Fort Wayne Hotel
- Man injured in Fort Wayne shooting
- Fort Wayne man charged in mother's murder