FORT WAYNE, Ind. (FOX 55) - The first line of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's. most famous speech begins "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed.”
These were the words spoken over 50 years ago and words people are still using as inspiration today.
The MLK club held its annual Unity Day in honor of the Reverend. The club's president, Bennie Edwards, believes the event is important in showing people what Dr. King stood for.
Edwards explain, “Dr. King dedicated his life to freedom and equality for all people.”
The theme of today, education, something Dr. King fought and died for. The vendors provided education and services to attendees.
Members of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity were on hand Monday to help spread the message of the group Dr. King was once a part of.
Clifford Clarke, member of the Alpha Phi Alpha, Theta Epsilon Lambda chapter said they do a number of things in the community to spread the message of equality.
“We try to encourage the need for advancing one’s education in a variety of different forms whether that’s through vocation and vocational studies, or technical studies, or college or even military service,” Clarke said.
Many that FOX 55 News spoke with Monday said they think the MLK Club is doing great things, but the city as a whole could use some improving in pushing Dr. King’s message forward.
Nojena Johnson was one of the Unity Day attendees we spoke with. She said, "I know that Dr. King believed in education and equality in education. That could still be improved in the city of Fort Wayne. I believe there is also room for more service done.”
Clarke believes, “From 20 years ago to today, I think we might actually be sliding a little bit.”
The MLK Club being active in the community and looking for new members, there’s the opportunity to keep moving forward.
Edwards said the club's goal is simple. “We’re committed to making Dr. King’s memory and keeping it alive here in Fort Wayne.”
- Fort Wayne MLK Club spreading Dr. King's message
- MLK Club of Fort Wayne looking to expand
- Spread the Vote launches in Fort Wayne
- Martin Luther King Club presents roundtable discussions for MLK Day
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Boys and Girls Club of Fort Wayne construction begins Friday
- Fort Wayne Sport Club gets ready for season
- Topping out complete at new Fort Wayne Boys & Girls Club
- Proposed ordinance would ban swingers clubs in Fort Wayne
- Proposal banning swinger clubs in Fort Wayne dies