FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- With Thanksgiving Thursday, Fort Wayne firefighters want people to know what to do if a fire starts, or if they are badly burned while cooking up their bird.
Firefighters said if you're deep-frying your turkey this year, make sure it's completely thawed, and not wet, so you don't overfill or overheat the fryer.
They also said not to use the deep fryer in an enclosed space, such as a garage, or on a deck, and never leave the bird unattended. If you are burned by a fryer or pan, seek medical attention immediately.
"You need to seek medical attention if you get any kind of burn, you know, I want to stress that, so if you do receive a burn from something like that, you want to have that taken care of. Have somebody take a look at it to make sure it's not too deep of a burn," said
Jim Murua, Assistant Fire Chief.
Murua said it's important to have a fire extinguisher if something does happen, but if a fire starts, you should always call 911.
- Fort Wayne Fire Department gives holiday safety tips
- Fort Wayne Fire Department battles fire on Third Street
- Four promotions at Fort Wayne Police Department
- Holiday Cab returns to Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne getting decked out for holidays
- Fort Wayne Fire Department conducts drills at Science Central
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health receives $54,000 grant
- Fort Wayne Police Department suspends use of LVNR
- Fort Wayne Police Department releases details of neck restraint suspension