Photo Gallery 6 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Fort Wayne Children's Zoo are adding to their mob family.
On Thursday, the zoo announced the addition of eight new Eastern Gray Kangaroos and one joey.
The group of kangaroos, also known as a mob, made the trip all the way from the Oakville Wildlife Park in New South Wales, Australia in the Spring of 2019.
Shelley Scherer, the Area Curator for the zoo says rather than bringing Eastern Gray Kangaroos from another zoo nearby, they needed to bring these kangaroos here from Australia because of how the industry of sustainable breeding works.
Scherer explained, "The goal for managing a population is you want the genetics to be as close to the wild population as possible. So, obviously there’s 16 million wild kangaroos, Eastern Grays, in Australia, so that is the ideal genetics."
The new additions, Ash (Male), Oakey (M), Nelson (M), Finn (M), Molly (Female), Newi (F), Euci (F), mother Adelaide (F) and her unnamed 7-month old joey (sex unknown) are yet to be released out into the exhibit with the other 11 Eastern Gray Kangaroos, but they can be seen by the public at a distance.
Lisa Flood is the Australian Adventure Section Supervisor at the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo She explained that despite being good at introductions, they still take their time to get the Australian marsupials used to zoo life.
"We do spend quite a bit of acclimation time back here. We’ll introduce them to smaller areas and then slowly expand that. We’ve actually brought some of our other moms, some of the girls with these guys to kind of be inside and make friends already," Flood said.
Zoo officials say they hope the new mob will be ready for an up-close look from the public before the end of the zoo season, which is Oct. 6.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
- GALLERY: Fort Wayne Children's Zoo mob family is growing
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo holds job fair
- Baby giraffe escapes Fort Wayne Children's Zoo
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo holds "Enrichment Day"
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo ends summer hours
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo to hold volunteer opportunity fair
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo opens for 53rd year
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo gets new wheelchair ramp for train
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo celebrates National Zookeeper Week
- Fort Wayne's Children's Zoo looking to fill positions