FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- A former Fort Wayne firefighter was arrested this week after an investigation dating back to December of 2017.
State police arrested Daniel Newport, 53, on a felony theft charge after he allegedly stole more than $50,000 from a charitable organization he served on.
According to Detective Clint Hetrick, Newport was serving as the treasurer for the organization known as Guns-N-Hoses. While serving, he was accused of taking large sums of money for personal use.
Hetrick found that Newport, who was a member of the Fort Wayne Fire Department at the time, took more than $50,000 from the organization between 2000 and December 2017.
Newport was arrested Wednesday, but has since been released.
- Former firefighter arrested on theft charge
- Fort Wayne Firefighter arrested at fire station
- Firefighters investigate vehicle fire
- Firefighters investigating business fire
- Firefighters investigate business fire
- Town Marshal arrested on burglary charge
- Ligonier man arrested on child pornography charges
- Firefighters adjust for road construction
- Firefighters help Habitat for Humanity
- Firefighters battle blaze and heat