(Whitley County, IN)-A former Police Officer with the South Whitley Police Department, who also worked as the School Resource Officer at Whitko High School was arrested this past Friday on a charge of failing to report a rape.
The investigation, which was undertaken by the Indiana State Police came as a result of a complaint brought forth back in February of this year which alleged that Officer Matthew D. Gilbert, 34, had received information from a then 16 year old female that she had been the victim of a rape.
It is alleged that this information was provided to Gilbert at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, and that no initial investigation nor any follow up were completed thereafter.
The case was submitted to the Whitley County Prosecutor's Office, who then levied the following charge against Gilbert:
Failure to Report a Rape or Sexual Assault, Class B Misdemeanor
Gilbert was incarcerated in the Whitley County Jail and has since bonded out. He is scheduled to appear in court this afternoon.
- Former Whitko School Resource Officer Arrested
- Whitko school merger causing division
- The Locker Room Week 10: Central Noble vs. Whitko
- School resource officers protect kids and connect community
- Bill providing mental health resources to schools gets mixed reactions
- Stand Down offers resources to veterans
- AWS Foundation unveils disability resource website
- Why the case against former Marjory Stoneman Douglas resource officer Scot Peterson is the first of its kind
- Resource center that aided nonprofits closes in Fort Wayne
- Veterans gather to access resources at stand down in Angola