FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- As temperatures outside are down, the number of food deliveries are going up.
"It's been really hectic and busy, obviously. if it's 4 below zero or 10 below zero or even zero, people don't want to go out and eat." i'm guessing we're going to exceed 300 deliveries today," said Waiter on the Way Owner Derek Burkes.
Waiter on the Way is a food delivery service in Fort Wayne that makes it convenient for customers to get their favorite meals, especially when it's not fun to leave the house.
"What we've been doing is really try to staff up internally in our office as well as our driver staff just to be able to keep the driving times down to provide a quality customer experience," said Burkes.
The food deliver service partners with hundreds of restaurants in the Summit City.
"Days like this you'd be surprised, even the smaller volume restaurants you get a lot of calls just because the volume is so much higher and there's a different demographic or ordering that would maybe be at school today or not at home," said Burkes.
Burkes says the recent cold has required a little more employees on schedule than normal.
"I'd like to have between 25 and 30 tonight. we'll probably hit right in that range, 25-27. today's been really really busy for lunch. just came out of the gate obviously. a lot of schools are closed so people are at home and haven't gotten out as much so they're probably like let's order some food. people can only eat mac and cheese and things like that out of a box for so long."
Burkes says he's thankful to all the customers who are patient when travel for his delivery drivers can get slowed down because of the weather and conditions.
"Sometimes it does take a little longer, but we want to provide the best quality service for them."
- Food delivery services see an influx in orders due to the cold
- Pizza Hut expands beer delivery service
- Trash and recycling delays due to cold
- Indiana issuing food stamps early due to government shutdown
- Coast Guard service members miss first paycheck due to government shutdown
- FedEx turns to Segway inventor to build delivery robot
- Cameras secretly recorded women in California hospital delivery rooms
- Walmart is rolling out next-day delivery. Look out, Amazon
- Del Monte Foods Announces Limited Recall of Canned Fiesta Corn Seasoned with Red & Green Peppers Due to Under Processing
- Community Harvest Food Bank needs volunteers and food donations