ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WFFT) - Flu season is beginning in northeast Indiana.
Health officials are reporting several cases already in Allen County.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Common signs and symptoms of the flu include:
- fever of 100° Fahrenheit or greater
- muscle aches
- sore throat
- runny or stuffy nose
The Indiana State Department of Health is encouraging people to get their flu vaccine soon.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everyone six months and older get the vaccine every year.
The official recommendation is to get the flu shot by the end of October because it takes two weeks for the vaccine to begin working.
The ISHD said 113 people died from the flu during the 2018-2019 flu season.
People can help prevent the spread of flu by washing their hands frequently and thoroughly, avoiding touching their eyes, nose and mouth with their hands and staying home when sick.
- Flu season is already underway in Allen County
- Seven Allen County residents have died from flu
- U.S. Flu season getting worse
- East Allen County Schools hiring
- Allen County Fair begins Tuesday
- Allen County Judge Levine retiring
- Allen County commissioners host "County Night Out"
- Indiana flu deaths reach 107 for state's current flu season
- Indiana flu deaths nearly triple this season
- Indiana records unusual early-season flu death