MAKHACHKALA, Russia (AP) - A gunman opened fire with a hunting rifle on churchgoers leaving a service in Russia's Dagestan region, killing five people and wounding four others, then was shot and killed by police, authorities say.
The shootings took place Sunday evening in Kizlyar, a town of about 50,000 people on the border with Chechnya.
Four people died at the scene and a fifth died at a hospital, regional Interior Ministry spokesman Ruslan Gadzhiibragimov said. The gunman was a local resident, and his wife has been detained for questioning, he said.
The motive for the attack was not immediately known.
Dagestan is a predominantly Muslim region between Chechnya and the Caspian Sea. Following two separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya, an Islamist insurgency spread to Dagestan.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Five dead in church shooting
- One man dead after shooting
- One dead after Sunday evening shooting
- One dead after Greene Street shooting
- Shooting leaves one dead, two seriously hurt
- 1 dead in Easter morning shooting
- One dead in second Easter shooting
- Three dead after shooting near downtown
- One dead in apparent Kendallville shooting
- Three dead, two hurt in Thanksgiving shooting