PAULDING, Ohio (WFFT)- First responders in Paulding know seconds count when it comes to emergencies. A new training facility will prepare them for anything that comes their way.
"Many times we send individuals off for training, but it's difficult for us to train together as a department," said Edward Bohn with the Paulding County EMA.
For Bohn, a facility like the new one in Paulding is a dream. Bohn approached commissioners about the need for additional training years ago, the project didn't get off the ground until last year.
"It was our legislators that stepped up and funded the project under the local government safety capital grant. And as I said, we were fortunate to be one of 92 out of over 4000 that submitted applications to make this happen," Bohn said.
"Our office is dedicated to the safety of our first responders because most of them are volunteers," said Tony Zartman, Paulding County commissioner.
The facility uses donated, wrecked vehicles and a building made out of shipping containers to simulate emergency situations.
"The shipping containers are relatively cheap, easy to find, and quick to erect. And they withstand the heat," Zartman said.
First responders can also use thermal imaging cameras to see through smoke filled rooms in the building.
The man behind the mechanics of the facility is Jared Page, a retired welder.
"I know the commissioners and they kind of roped me into doing the metal work of it. So I did all the fabrication," he said.
Bohn said the training offered at the facility right now is only the first phase.
"Phase two is going to be larger scale props... We're going to have a roof truss simulator, so firefighters can understand the dangers of the construction of roofs, as well as having to perform ventilation cuts in them," Bohn said.
- First responder training facility opens in Paulding
- Paulding County shooting suspect dies
- Fire damages home on Paulding Road
- Paulding County murder suspect found in Nevada
- Paulding County man arrested for shooting grandson
- Paulding County Hospital cutting equipment services
- Paulding County deputies search for bank robber
- FWPD to construct new K-9 training facility
- Woman found dead in Paulding home, arrest warrant issued
- Authorities in Paulding, Ohio seeking leads in homicide investigation