Photo Gallery 3 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A man died after a fire started at storage facility near downtown Fort Wayne Wednesday.
The fire started at BTE Storage on South Broadway around 5 p.m.
Firefighters said the fire started inside one of the storage units in the northwest corner of the facility.
By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was in four units, spreading along the roof.
A man was found dead under a large pile of debris.
Another man was hospitalized with burns, his condition wasn't immediately released.
Firefighters said they found what appears to be a business operating out of one of the units, which is illegal.
Materials from the business and other units had to be pulled out to find any hidden fires.
Fires at storage facilities are more difficult to put out because there are many unknowns, such as what it is inside or how full it is.
The Allen County coroner will release the name of the man who died.
Fire investigators are working to figure out what caused the fire.
- Fort Wayne storage fire leaves one dead, one injured
- Bike-share program leaving Fort Wayne
- Man injured in Fort Wayne shooting
- Police: Missing Fort Wayne man found dead
- BTE Storage fire victim identified
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Truck crashes into a house in Fort Wayne leaves one dead
- Fort Wayne couple wakes up to fire
- Fort Wayne Firefighter arrested at fire station
- Fort Wayne eyes paid parental leave policy for city workers