FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- UPDATE: Fort Wayne Firefighters spent midday Friday battling a blaze at a southside apartment.
Crews responded around 1:15 p.m. to 6623 John Street. When they arrived they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the attic area. They made sure the building was empty and tried to put the blaze out, but were set back by high heat and smoke.
The fire wasn't under control until just before 3:00 p.m. One firefighter was injured and taken to the hospital in stable condition.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but witnesses at the scene told FOX 55 lightening may have started it.
ORIGINAL STORY: Fort Wayne firefighters are battling a fire at a southside apartment complex.
Crews were called just before 1:30 p.m. to the 6600 block of John Street.
Witnesses told FOX 55 a lightning strike may have started the fire.
FOX 55 will have updates as they become available.
- Firefighters respond to fire at south side apartment complex
- Firefighters respond to Fort Wayne apartment complex
- Five escape apartment fire
- Firefighters battle large blaze at Golfview Apartments
- Man critically hurt in south side shooting
- One person hurt in south side shooting
- South Side High School removing ivy
- Fire damages southeast side house
- Firefighters investigate vehicle fire
- Firefighters investigating business fire