PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) - UPDATE: A federal official has identified the Florida school shooting suspect as Nicolas Cruz. The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel says the shooting suspect is an 18-year-old former student at the South Florida school where the shooting erupted.
He says the teen was arrested without incident after he was located off the school grounds in a nearby community. He didn't give details of when the suspect had attended the school. But the sheriffs says the suspect wasn't currently enrolled.
"I don't know why he left," Israel said, briefing reporters Wednesday afternoon.
He also says the shooter was outside and inside the school at points during the attack. He didn't elaborate.
The sheriff says several SWAT teams have gone in during the afternoon and are clearing every building at the Parkland high school complex to ensure no other threat remains.
He also says the FBI has stepped in and will begin processing what he describes as "horrific scene."
Said the sheriff: "This is a terrible day ... This is catastrophic."
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Federal official identifies Florida school shooting suspect
- Suspect arrested in fatal shooting, victim identified
- Shooting victim identified
- Coroner identifies shooting victim
- Kroger shooting victim identified
- Stabbing victim and suspect identified
- Police identify victim and suspect from Lake Avenue shooting
- Northcrest Drive shooting victim identified
- Bowser Avenue shooting victims identified
- Runnion Avenue shooting victim identified