FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) -"It was the worst day of my life."
That's how Alysa Monnier describes the day her daughter Naomi was bit in the face by the family dog.
The family was at home the day after Christmas. The dog was on the couch chewing on a bone. Naomi pulled herself on the couch and that's when the dog latched on to the side of naomi's face.
Alysa recounted the incident, saying "At the time I really did think we were going to lose her. It was on her face going back. You couldn't even tell where it would have been on her face because it was so bad it cut all the way through."
"It was a very large laceration across the face. As I said, the face is very vascular, so there was a lot of blood coming from her injuries," said paramedic Cody Brooks.
He and his partner for the day Terry Masters happened to be strategically placed in the right place at the right time, allowing them to respond to the call in less than 5 minutes, but if someone hadn't been at that location, the outcome could have been worse according to Brooks.
He said, "It could have been an increased blood loss. The blood pressure could have went down even further. She could have went unresponsive, so it definitely could have been worse, yeah."
Naomi is on the road to recovery thanks to Cody and Terry. The paramedics were humble, with Brooks saying "We were just glad to help in any way that we could to make sure that we addressed her injury."
Alysa thanked the hospital staff, but it took awhile for Alysa to track down the paramedics, but when she did, she wanted to make sure they knew how important they are.
She said, "I think sometimes they don't hear it enough. They work holidays and weekends and hours not everybody wants to work, but it's amazing what they do."
- Family thanks paramedics for helping daughter after dog bite
- Dog Bite Prevention Week can help keep you and your kids safe
- Family and dog escape house fire
- Paws Therapy Dogs help nervous travelers
- Washington Elementary helping with service dog training
- Fort Wayne mother honored after helping daughter through chemo
- Family holds fundraiser to help MDA
- Family fighting to get lost dog back home
- Family seeking answers after two police officers shoot, kill dog
- Family upset dog was euthanized after being declared dangerous