FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- In 1988, eight year old April Tinsley was murdered. The little girl was walking home from her friend's house when she was sexually abused and killed. Her case remains unsolved.
Now her family is putting something together that everyone can be a part of to honor her memory.
Next month will make it 30 years.
For some time, the family's been thinking of ways to honor little April Tinsley who would be around 38 years old now.
"The case is still unsolved, so we decided we were going to do a balloon release at her garden, and so far I got a lot of backing on it," her mother, Janet Tinsley, said.
April's mother, Janet, is doing the balloon launch not just for April, but other children who were victims of violence after someone reached out to her and shared their story.
The support didn't stop there.
"I got a hold of couple of people at the police department. They told me to let them know. Everyone is going to be there who was on her case, and from what I understand now, I got half of Fort Wayne that's going to be there," Tinsley added.
You say April's name and many remember her story.
Tinsley said talking about the memories she has with her helps, and her son Paul keeps her going.
"Keep yourself busy, and if you got other children, focus yourself on them because they are going to need you."
Now she and April's father are looking forward to the community joining them to honor the young lives lost.
The balloon launch will be April 4th at 5pm at April's garden on the corner of Hoagland Avenue and Masterson Street.
- Balloon launch to remember April Tinsley and other child victims of violence
- Community remembers April Marie Tinsley, case still unsolved
- Local woman wrote song to remember April Tinsley
- April Tinsley case featured on Investigation Discovery
- Arrest made in April Tinsley case
- April Tinsley's mom questions suspected killer's motive
- Trial set for April Tinsley's alleged murderer
- April Tinsley's accused killer pleads guilty
- Sentencing for April Tinsley's killer moved forward
- Sentencing on Friday for April Tinsley's murderer