INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A five-week festival planned for the Indiana State Fairgrounds has been canceled.
The Fairgrounds Fun Park announced last week was to be operated by the carnival ride company that was to provide the midway for August’s Indiana State Fair that was called off in June.
SPECIAL SECTION: FOX 55 Coronavirus Pandemic Coverage
Box said the ride operator and fairgrounds staff had a thorough safety plan for the July 31-Sept. 7 festival with rides, games and carnival food booths, but that the organizers decided to cancel after meeting with state health officials.
“While we are saddened that our event cannot take place, we understand the current situation and will always put public health and safety as our number one priority,” North American Midway Entertainment CEO Danny Huston said in a statement.
Box and Holcomb, however, both supported plans for running the Indianapolis 500 on Aug. 23 with 50% fan capacity, a total that could still top 100,000 people at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s 2-1/2 mile oval.
“It is a massive piece of property, where you can physically distance, where you can mask up if you are in close proximity to someone,” Holcomb said.