ROANOKE, Ind. (WFFT) - A former Fort Wayne pain doctor is dead after a farmer accident in Huntington County Wednesday morning.
The incident happened around 7:15 a.m. on a farm on N CR 500 East, near Roanoke Road.
Huntington County coroner Phil Zahm said Dr. Michael Cozzi was moving feed with a front loader, pouring it over a fence to feed cattle.
That's when the tractor sped up and tipped forward, pinning Cozzi between the fence and the tractor.
Cozzi lost his medical license after being the center of a federal investigation two years ago.
In March 2016, federal agents raided his home and found guns and narcotics.
Officials said he prescribed millions of doses of oxycodone.
Cozzi was never formally charged.
FOX 55 did contact the the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency to see if Cozzi's license has been reinstated but haven't heard back.
Cozzi's accident is the third farming-related death so far this year in northeast Indiana.
Two children died over the summer, a four-year-old girl in Noble County and a 13-year-old boy in Wells County.
Allen County Purdue Extension agriculture educator James Wolff said many of these accidents can be avoided.
"Making sure you are aware of the load you are carrying with equipment, whether it being pulled behind you or if you've got a front end loader," he said.
Unfortunately there are still times something goes wrong.
Wolff said it's important to notice so you can take action right away.
"Remain calm and pay attention could help you get out of the situation and not over correct," Wolff said.
- Extension office urging farming safety after former pain doctor dies in accident
- Baby dies in DeKalb County farming accident.
- Purdue Extension and Heartland Harvest Farms teach hemp farming
- Child dies after accident at farm in northeastern Indiana
- Norwell student dead after farming accident
- FWCS board approves superintendent contract extension
- Indiana Conservation Officers investigate snowmobile accident
- Malls are filling their empty spaces with doctor's offices
- Eight year old girl dies after BB gun accident
- Indiana man dies in industrial accident at avionics company