FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A excessive heat warning is in effect for all of northeast Indana and northwest Ohio.
55 Severe Weather Center meteorologists expect the heat index to reach 100 - 110 degrees over the weekend.
Many communities are helping people stay cool by opening cooling centers.
Fort Wayne's Rescue Mission opens a cooling center whenever temperatures reach 80.
This weekend the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory will also be a cooling center.
Here is a list of cooling centers in northeast Indiana.
- Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory, 1100 S. Calhoun Street, Saturday 10 a.m .- 5 p.m., Sunday noon - 4 p.m.
- The Rescue Mission, 301 W. Superior Street, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Meijer, 2990 N. Wayne, Saturday and Sunday
- Walmart, 2016 N Wayne, Saturday and Sunday
- Cahoots, 218 W. Maumee, Saturday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Presbyterian Chapel of the Lake, 2955 W Orland, Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Orland American Legion, 6215 N SR 327, Saturday noon - 6 p.m.
- Rural King, 1501 N Wayne, Saturday and Sunday
- YMCA, 500 E Harcourt, Saturday noon to 5 p.m.
- Excessive Heat Warning in effect for NEI and NWO
- Tsunami warning in effect in Alaska after quake
- Bystander shot by Indiana officer files excessive force suit
- Three patients die after receiving excessive pain medicine, hospital says
- Possible disaster aid for farmers after excessive rain
- USDA: Excessive rainfall hits quality of Indiana's corn crop
- Roads buckling under heat
- National public housing smoking ban takes effect
- Measles quarantine on campus: Controversial but effective
- Excess body weight responsible for 4% of cancers worldwide, study says