GOSHEN, Ind. (WFFT) — Early Sunday morning police say a driver was traveling south on County Road 115 and lost control of the vehicle.
Shortly after 3:30 a.m.the vehicle crashed into two utility poles bringing them down and then crashed into a truck in the driveway at a residence of an off-duty officer on C.R. 115 just north of C.R. 18, in Goshen.
The utility poles damaged two other vehicles and the home when they came down, one of the vehicles being a marked Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office vehicle.
Police say the off-duty officer approached the suspect and the suspect resisted and fought with him.
On-duty officers arrived shortly after and attempted to take the suspect into custody.
They say the suspect ran away and the officers chased him, later taking him into custody without further incident.
The suspect was identified as 23-year-old Cesar Ortega-Olvera of Goshen.
He was driving a 2005 Nissan Titan when the crash occurred.
Officers say Ortega-Olvera was found to be intoxicated with a BAC of .207 and was arrested on several preliminary charges:
- Operating a vehicle while intoxicated
- Resisting arrest
- Leaving the scene of a crash
- Operator never licensed
- No insurance with a prior conviction
Items damaged in the crash were:
- 2018 Dodge Ram truck
- 2012 Kia Sorento
- 2017 Dodge Charger (Sheriff’s Vehicle)
- The driveway of the home
- Garage door and walls from the utility poles
- Elkhart Deputy's vehicles and property damaged by drunken driver
- Man rescued from Elkhart River Friday
- The Locker Room Week 10: North Side vs. Elkhart Memorial
- One dead after hit and run in Elkhart County
- Report: Elkhart Police Department must track use of force
- Arrested: Accused drunken driver who was driving with chicken on his shoulder
- Hit-and-Run driver damages Old Fort
- Indiana legislator jailed on drunken driving, other charges
- 3-time Kentucky Derby winner charged with drunken driving
- Ex-sheriff's captain enters guilty plea after wage theft probe in Elkhart County