KENDALLVILLE, Ind. (WFFT) - Schools across the region are taking a look at systems they have in place to make sure children are safe at school.
East Noble School Corporation launched a new program, #saysomething, last week.
It aimed at preventing everything from bullying to school shootings.
The program offers students, parents and community members ways to anonymously report possible issues to administrators.
"I'm very proud our community is standing up and doing something to help the kids that are in need," said Debbie Norris, who has two kids going to East Noble High School.
The district said it launched the program partly because of the school shooing in Parkland, Florida that left 17 people dead.
East Noble's safety coordinator, Matt Stinson, said the new program is about staying ahead of the game, especially with many students on social media.
"If those posts are out there, if there is something alarming that's there, that information can be brought to authorities and school officials ahead of time," he said.
Students can report a variety of issues from bullying and abuse to possible attacks at school.
The #saysomething program is school specific so anyone can feel comfortable using it.
"We tend to affiliate ourselves with a school and not necessarily with the (school) corporation, so we made sure to personalize it," said Stinson.
Stinson said there was already a similar program in place to report bullying, but this expands on that.
Thursday, East Noble Middle School held an assembly going over the program.
Students then made sure everyone knew how to report something by writing on the front doors and sidewalks.
"I think it's actually kind of cool because there are a lot of kids out there in their personal life," said Sydney Burke, East Noble Middle School seventh grader.
"The program will encourage them to stand up if they see something on the bus, if they see something on social media, if they see something on Facebook, they can do something about it," Norris said.
You can #saysomething by calling 260-347-5512 or you can email any school below.
- East Noble High School firstname.lastname@example.org
- East Noble Middle School email@example.com
- Avilla Elementary firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Side Elementary email@example.com
- Rome City Elementary firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Side Elementary email@example.com
- Wayne Center Elementary firstname.lastname@example.org
- East Noble encouraging students to #saysomething
- East Noble parents can track students' bus
- Student safety considered in East Noble Middle School design
- East Noble trying new four day week for some students
- East Noble mourning loss of teacher
- East Noble's 4+1 pilot program put on hold
- Kendallville hopes to repurpose former East Noble Middle School building
- Schools encourage female STEM involvement
- East Noble to tear down old middle school instead of selling
- East Noble seeing fewer stop-arm violations with cameras on every bus