Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - Mayor Henry is proclaiming this week as earth week and a local non-profit is expanding on that with a series of events teaming up with a couple organizations like Save Maumee and Little River Wetland Project.
Organizer Rowan Greene says this will give everyone in Fort Wayne the opportunity to be a part of spreading environmental awareness.
"The Little River Wetlands event, Save Maumee event, year after year are the same day. We're just splitting working power and splitting the attention. Indiana Tech was already doing this earth week movement separately from us. We didn't even know it was happening and we signed on with them. There's just so much drive in the community to have a future for our children for ourselves that's not only livable. I mean livable is important, but an environment in which everyone can thrive," Rowan Greene with Heartland Communities said.
Joining Greene in the first event for Earth Week is Abigail King, the founder of Save Maumee. Within four years, Save Maumee planted over three thousand trees along streams. They planted 380 trees on Monday.
The purpose of having events like the tree planting, campus clean up, The United We Stand Concert, and the Livable Futures Expo is to work together to get work done, and have conversations how on to live a healthy sustainable life.
- Black Swamp Permaculture Convergence April 27, 2019 10:00AM-4:00PM Co-Hosts: Heartland Communities and Great Rivers and Lakes Permaculture Institute Location: TekVenture 1400 Griffin St, Fort Wayne, IN 46803 Bringing Permaculture practitioners together for a day of learning and sharing in a community of practice.
- United We Stand: A Celebration of People, Planet and a chance to Prosper April 27, 2019 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm To be held at TekVenture Makerspace 1400 Griffin St, Fort Wayne, IN 46803
- 4:00PM-8:00PM Livable Futures Expo Tek Venture, April 27
- 7:00PM Moana Movie Night Indiana Tech Magee Theatre, April 24
- 3:00PM Campus Cleanup Indiana Tech Andorfer Commons 7:00 pm Earth Day Film Festival Indiana Tech Magee Theatre, April 25th
- 9:00AM-7:00PM Community Garage Sale 1703 Howell St, 1:00PM-5:00PM and Little River Wetlands "Protect Our Species Earth Day Event Eagle Marsh 68, April 28
- 12:00pm-8:00pm Food Not Lawns Garden Mob Event “Resistance is Fertile” Broad River Urban Educational Garden 1318 Huestis Ave, April 29
- Earth Day turns into Earth Week in Fort Wayne
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- It's Library Week in Fort Wayne
- Savor Fort Wayne returns this week
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo holds "Enrichment Day"
- Fort Wayne celebrates World Wetlands Day
- Mother's Day takes over downtown Fort Wayne
- Earth's magnetic north pole is hurtling toward Russia
- NASA's TESS mission spots Earth-size exoplanet