FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - People who drive along Washington Center Road are bracing for a longer commute.
Monday, the road will be closed over Spy Run Creek between Huguenard and Lima Roads.
Allen County Highway Department engineers said the bridge is beginning to fail and needs replaced.
The new bridge will be wider, allowing for two lanes of traffic in each direction.
Many drivers are upset because the closure is just around the corner from the Hillegas Road closure over US 30.
"It seems Fort Wayne has two seasons: road construction and road demolition. You live in the middle of it, you can't get anywhere. It's terrible," said Lucinda Molargik.
The official detour takes drivers Huguenard Road north to Cook Road and then to Lima Road.
Work is expected to last through October.
- Drivers prepare for Washington Center Road closure
- Washington Center Road shut down after crash
- INDOT prepares for winter roads, encourages drivers
- Washington Center Road to reopen with some changes
- Washington Center Road to close for bridge replacement
- Drivers react to State Boulevard closure
- City prepares for winter roads
- Road closures cause headaches and backups
- Bass and Hadley Road closure starts July 5th
- Hillville Road crash kills driver, injures passenger