Photo Gallery 1 Images
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT)- Dr. Kyle Krish with New Haven Pet Hospital says that, as of right now, we know of cases of dog flu in Toledo, Columbus, and Chicago.
It is very contagious, and a dog can potentially get it even if it's just a little exposure.
Krish says that with dogs traveling this time of year, dog flu could end up coming to Fort Wayne, especially with some area dogs not getting proper immunization.
"Our problem here in Fort Wayne is we don't have a great immunity to it," says Krish. "That's why the vaccine and stuff is so important because we have these populations of dogs that have never seen this before, and their potential to pick it up is really high."
Dr. Krish said that although the vaccine is effective, it's not quite at one hundred percent, but dogs typically get good protection from the flu.
- Dogs in Fort Wayne at risk for dog flu because of travel
- Fort Wayne organization trains service dogs for veterans
- Airport travelers surprised at Fort Wayne International
- Sessions traveling to Fort Wayne, discussing immigration
- Paws Therapy Dogs help nervous travelers
- "Savor Fort Wayne" begins
- Fort Wayne man travels to Italy to meet birth mom
- Visit Fort Wayne launches Fort Wayne Accessibility landing page
- Two Fort Wayne nightclubs closing
- Fort Wayne housing market booming